Unit 6: Ends of the Future
Posted on August 27, 2010 by admin
Leave a Comment
Tuesday, March 28
- Mexica Narrative and Poetry and the Destruction of Tenochtitlan, Miguel León Portilla, The Broken Spears (Excerpts)
- Plenary: Apocalypse and the Birth of Modernity
Thursday, March 30 (am)
Thursday, March 30 (pm)
- Joy Harjo, “Selected Poems” (“I Am a Dangerous Woman,” “Perhaps the World Ends Here,” A Map to the Next World,” “Morning Prayers,” “When The World As We Knew It Ended”)
- Plenary: Apocalypse; or, Coming Full Circle
Tuesday, April 4
- Peter J. Smith and Robert W. Tuttle, “Biblical Literalism and Constitutional Originalism,” Notre Dame Law Review 86, no. 2 (March 2011): 693-716. Link is to the entire article (693-764) but you need only read through page 716.
- Judith Jarvis Thomson, “A Defense of Abortion,” Philosophy & Public Affairs 1, no. 1 (Autumn 1971): 47-66.
- Daniel K. Williams, “Introduction,” from Defenders of the Unborn: The Pro-Life Movement before Roe v. Wade (New York: Oxford University Press, 2016), 1-9.
- Plenary: Reproductive Futures: Where We’ve Been
Thursday, April 6 (am)
Thursday, April 6 (pm)
Tuesday, April 11
Thursday, April 13 (am)
- Section: Portfolio Revision/ Writing & Research Nuts and Bolts
Thursday, April 13 (pm)
Tuesday, April 18
- Entry on Nongqawuse from the New African Encyclopedia
- Zakes Mda, The Heart of Redness (2000), front matter-p21 (to section break); 37-58; 66-87 (to section break); 91-113 (to section break).
- Plenary: Prophecy, Narrative, History. Readings
Thursday, April 20 (am)
Thursday, April 20 (pm)
- Zakes Mda, The Heart of Redness (2000) 123-137 (end of para after section break, read parts with italics); 197-201 (end of page); 208-211 (to section break); 253-261 (end of page); 268 (top of page)-277.
- Plenary: The Heart of Redness (cont.)
Tuesday, April 25
- Carmen Maria Machado, “Inventory” (2017)
- Section: Intimate Apocalypses
Thursday, April 27 (am)
Thursday, April 27 (pm)
- Plenary: Zombies and the Apocalyptic Imagination
Verna Miller Case Symposium, Wednesday, May 3