You will be required to write 2 campus commentaries per semester (approximately 500-750 words each). Events should take place on campus or in Charlotte. The goal is to get you to take advantage of the opportunities you have here as a students, which includes getting a sense of what’s available to you in the region. Program trips and required lectures are not eligible for this assignment.
Ideally, you will attend many campus events and cultural opportunities in Charlotte. Select commentaries that connect organically to your ultimate portfolio theme. A broad range of options will maximize your ability to select events that work well with your other writing.
The program will happily reimburse fees for visits to Charlotte. They should represent a minimum of one of each of the following types of events:
- An academic lecture in a humanities discipline or interdisciplinary humanities work
- An art exhibit or installation (On-campus or in Charlotte: Davidson College Art Gallery, Mint, Bechtler, etc.)
- A performance (On-campus or in Charlotte: Theater, Dance, Music)
Your campus commentaries are meant to be formal writing for a broad audience. Make sure you have polished the writing to the best of your ability.
Your commentary should:
- Offer a clear description of the lecture, installation or performance.
- Outline what the speaker or artist’s goals might be.
- Give us a sense of whether you think they were successful. This isn’t asking for your purely subjective opinion.
- Offer your more subjective perspective, grounded in specific and thoughtful commentary. Make sure to acknowledge where your perspective might be expanded or limited by your pre-existing knowledge.